Academic Profile - Dr Faith Ong
Faith is a specialist in volunteer tourism in the Faculty of Higher Education at William Angliss Institute. Her PhD explored volunteer tourists’ expectations as influences on their intentions to volunteer in their own communities on return. Over the course of her PhD, Faith actively disseminated her research, publishing three journal articles – including one in an A*-ranked journal – and a conference paper that was awarded the 2014 CAUTHE PhD Bursary, and presenting at industry forums.
In addition to publishing within the areas of tourism and leisure, Faith has taught research methods, sustainable operations, and tourism, hospitality and event management at a tertiary level. With previous experience in corporate events and hospitality, she has incorporated industry experience into her teaching and research.
Doctor of Philosophy, Victoria University (Melbourne), 2016
Master of Tourism Management, Victoria University (Melbourne), 2011
Bachelor of Business Administration, National University of Singapore, 2006
Areas of expertise
- Volunteer tourism
- Business events
- Sustainable operations
- Qualitative research methods
- Consumer behaviour
ResearchGate is a social networking site created for scientists and researchers, providing a platform for users to share papers, conduct research and to collaborate with others.
List of research publications
- Ong, F., Lockstone-Binney, L., King, B., & Smith, K. A. (2014). The Future of Volunteer Tourism in the Asia-Pacific Region: Alternative Prospects. Journal of Travel Research. doi:10.1177/0047287514532365
- Ong, F., Pearlman, M., Lockstone-Binney, L., & King, B. (2013). Virtuous volunteer tourism: Towards a uniform code of conduct. Annals of Leisure Research, 16(1), 72-86. doi:10.1080/11745398.2013.769402
- Ong, F., Pearlman, M., & Lockstone-Binney, L. (2011). An examination of not-for-profit volunteer tourism sending organisations' guiding considerations that influence volunteer tourism programmes. World Leisure Journal, 53(4), 296-311. doi:10.1080/04419057.2011.630787
- Ong, F., Lockstone-Binney, L., & King, B. (2014). Volunteer tourism programs: A stakeholder matrix. Paper presented at the CAUTHE, Brisbane, Australia.
- Awarded the 2014 CAUTHE PhD Bursary for the conference paper titled “Volunteer tourism programs: A stakeholder matrix”
- Awarded scholarship to attend the “Performing the Word: A Writing Retreat for Qualitative Researchers”
- Awarded the VU International Postgraduate Research Scholarship for PhD research
- Travel and Tourism Research Association (TTRA) – Member
- Council for Australasian Tourism and Hospitality Education (CAUTHE) – Member