Academic Profile - Dr Madelene Blaer
Dr Madelene McWha is a Tourism Lecturer in the Faculty of Higher Education at William Angliss Institute, Melbourne, Australia. Prior to this position, she worked for La Trobe University in the Business School primarily teaching research methods, management communications, tourism and hospitality studies, destination marketing and management, as well as tourism and the environment.
Her current research explores contemporary travel writers' experiences in the digital age. For her PhD she interviewed 47 modern professional travel writers, journalists and bloggers, primarily from Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom and North America, who reflected on their diverse roles, professional relationships, ethics, as well as their use of interactive online technologies.
- Doctor of Philosophy, La Trobe University (2016)
- Master of Tourism (Honours), La Trobe University (2011)
- Bachelor of Business (Tourism and Hospitality Management), La Trobe University (2009)
T: +61 3 9606 2312
Areas of expertise
- Travel writing
- Contemporary travel writers
- Digital and social media and marketing
- Ethics and travel
- Sustainable tourism
- Qualitative research
ResearchGate is a social networking site created for scientists and researchers, providing a platform for users to share papers, conduct research and to collaborate with others.
List of research publications
- McWha, M., Frost, W., Laing, J. & Best, G. (2015). Writing for the anti-tourist? Imagining the contemporary travel magazine reader as an authentic experience seeker. Current Issues in Tourism, 19(1), 85-99. DOI: 10.1080/13683500.2015.1013525
- McWha, M., Frost, W., Laing, J. & Best, G. (2014). Exploring the inner foci of contemporary travel writers. Paper presented at the Travel and Tourism Research Association Conference, Bruges, Belgium.
- McWha, M. & Frost, W. (2014). Contemporary travel writing: A snapshot of current tourism themes in travel magazine articles. Paper presented at the 24th CAUTHE International Conference, Brisbane, Australia.
- McWha, M. (2013). Travel writing and imaginings about the travelling experience. Presented at the Borders and Crossings Conference: An International and Multidisciplinary Conference on Travel Writing, Liverpool, UK.
- McWha, M., Frost, W., Best, G. & Laing, J. (2013). Travel writing and imaginings about the travelling experience. Presented at the 23rd CAUTHE International Conference, Christchurch, New Zealand.
- McWha, M. (2011). An avalanche of indistinct travel writing discourses. Presented at the International Tourism and the Media Conference. Melbourne, Australia.
- McWha, M. & Michael, E. (2011). Touristic processing of 'Travel Narrations'. Presented at the 21st CAUTHE International Conference, Adelaide
- Awarded CAUTHE 2014 PhD bursary for full research paper titled: Contemporary travel writing: a snapshot of current tourism themes in travel magazine articles
- Awarded La Trobe University Pro Vice Chancellor's Teaching Support Staff Award.
- YTN (Young Tourism Network)
- TTRA (Travel and Tourism Research Association)
- CAUTHE (Council for Australasian Tourism and Hospitality Education)