Academic Profile - Eminent Professor G.Michael McGrath
Dr. Michael McGrath gained his PhD from Macquarie University in 1993 and his most recent academic appointments was as Professor of Information Systems at Victoria University, Melbourne, Australia. Prior to that, he had over 20 years’ experience in the IT industry - mostly at Telstra, Australia, where he worked in a variety of positions. These included an executive-level position, as Manager Information Architecture within the organisation’s Corporate Strategy Directorate
His current research is focused broadly on the the use of IT within the T&H industry and, more specifically on the development of advanced decision support systems for various sustainable tourism applications.
In recent years he has conducted research and consultancy work for Telstra, IBM, Centrelink, DIST (Department of Industry Science and Tourism) and NOIE (National Office for the Information Economy). He has authored over 200 refereed journal and conference papers and supervised over 20 PHD/DBA students to completion.
- PhD, Macquarie University (1993)
- MAppSc (NSWIT, Sydney)
- Bachelor of Science (Melbourne)
T: 0434 835 880
Areas of expertise
- Decision Support Systems (DSS)
- Artificial Intelligence
- Information modelling
- Systems thinking and System Dynamics (SD)
- Applications of IT in the Tourism and Hospitality (T&H) industry
- McGrath, G. M., Whitelaw, P. A., & Meijerink, H. (2014). System Models for Tourism Green Growth. In T. DeLacy, M. Jiang, G. Lipman, & S. Vorster (Eds.), Green Growth and Travelism – Concept, Policy and Practice for Sustainable Tourism (pp. 241-256). Routledge: London.
- Miah, S. J., Vu, H. Q., McGrath, G.M. & Gammack, J. (2016). A Big-Data Analytics Method for Tourist Behaviour Analysis. Information and Management, 54(6), 771-785.
- McGrath, G. M. & Lipman, G. H. (2016). Construction and use of a ‘Green Growth’ Tourism Decision Support Aid: A Multi-Method Approach. Australasian Journal of Information Systems, 20, 1-24.
- McGrath, G. M., Law, A. & DeLacy, T. (2015). Green Economy Planning in Tourism Destinations: An Integrated, Multi-Method Decision Support Aid. The Journal of Developing Areas, 49(6), 145-155.
- Kayani, K., McGrath, G. M. & Larsen, P. (2015). Strategies Employed by Bricks & Mortar Travel Agents to Compete with Virtual Travel Agents. International Journal of Recent Technology and Engineering, 3(6), 56-70.
- McGrath, G. M., Law, A. & DeLacy, T. (2012). Decision Support for the Development of Green Growth Tourism Strategies: Managing Complexity. Journal of Knowledge Management Practice, 13(4).
- Law, A., DeLacy, T., McGrath, G. M., Whitelaw, P., Lipman, G., & Buckley, G. (2012). Towards a Green Economy Decision Support System for Tourism Destinations. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 20(6), 823-843.
- Pornphol, P., & McGrath, G. M. (2011). Information Systems Development as an Emergent Knowledge Research Process. The International Journal of Interdisciplinary Social Sciences, 6(1), 301-317.
- McGrath, G. M. and Kuzic, J. (2010). Enhancing the Regional Racing Experience for Tourists: A Betting Aid for Novice Punters. Journal of Information Technology and Tourism, 11(4), 301-318.
Refereed Conference Publications
- McGrath, G. M. & Wilson-Evered, E. (2017). IT Support for ‘Green Tourism’ Initiatives: An Australia-China Joint Research Project. Proceedings of 27th Annual CAUTHE Conference. Dunedin, New Zealand: University of Otago.
- McGrath, G.M., McWha, M., Lockstone-Binney, L., & Whitelaw, P. (2017). Use of a Destination Simulation Game: Preliminary Results for an Undergraduate Tourism and Hospitality Program, Proceedings of 27th Annual CAUTHE Conference. Dunedin, New Zealand: University of Otago.
- Khatter, A., McGrath, G. M., & Pyke, J. (2017). Analysis of Hotel Websites for Environmentally Sustainable Policies and Practices, Proceedings of 27th Annual CAUTHE Conference. Dunedin, New Zealand: University of Otago.
- Ayob, M. F. B., Wilson-Evered, E. & McGrath, G. M. (2017). Evaluating the Website Presence and Features for Malaysian Small-and-Medium-Sized Hotels (SMHs). Proceedings of the 27th Annual CAUTHE Conference. Dunedin, New Zealand: University of Otago.
- McGrath, G. M., Whitelaw, P. A., & Harris, A. (2015). A Destination Management Game Simulation for Novice Tourism and Hospitality Students. Proceedings of the 29th Annual Conference of the Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management (pp. 1-14). Queenstown, New Zealand: ANZAM.
- McGrath, G. M., Whitelaw, P. A., & Harris, A. (2016). Scaffolding a Destination Simulation into an Undergraduate Hospitality and Tourism Program. Proceedings of the 26th Annual CAUTHE Conference (pp. 1134-1140). Sydney, Australia: Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School .
- McGrath, G. M., Law, A., & DeLacy, T. (2015). Green Economy Planning in Tourism Destinations: An Integrated, Multi-Method Decision Support Aid. Proceedings of the International Conference on Business and Social Sciences 2015 (pp. 213-232). Sydney, Australia: Central Queensland University
- McGrath, G. M., Whitelaw, P. A., Lipman, G. H., Meijerink, H., Law, A., & DeLacy, T. (2013). A Conceptual Information Model for a ‘Green Economy Tourism System’ (GETS). Proceedings of the 19th Americas Conference on Information Systems (pp. 1-12). Chicago, IL.
- Law, A., McGrath, G.M., & DeLacy, T. (2012). A ‘Green Economy Tourism System’ (GETS): Architecture and Usage. In M. Fuchs, F. Ricci, & L. Cantoni (Eds.), Information and Communication Technologies in Tourism 2012 (pp. 203-214). Springer: Vienna.
- 22 PhD, 3 DBA, 2 Msc
Current supervision roles
- 3 PhD, 2 DBA