Academic Profile - Eminent Professor Susan Sykes Hendee
Dr. Hendee holds a PhD. and M.A. in foods and food management from New York University, an M.S. in computer education and B.S. in food service education from Johnson & Wales University, and an A.O.S. from the Culinary Institute of America. She is certified by the American Culinary Federation as a Certified Culinary Educator and awarded fellow of The American Academy of Chefs. Awards include the Presidential Medallion for National Chair for Accreditation, representation as leading woman culinarian at Taiwan's 20th culinary exposition and membership on the Women's National Taskforce.
Dr. Hendee teaches hospitality, foods and culinary management with emphasis on gastronomy and cultural foods. Her research is in "emotional intelligence" and computerization. Publications include dissertation online, food encyclopaedia, culinary magazines and association ethics. She held administrative offices in higher education and management positions to include Marriott and PepsiCo Inc. Consults have been conducted regionally, nationally and internationally.
- PhD – Measurement of Differences In Emotional Intelligence and Job Satisfaction of Practicing Chefs and Culinary Educators as Measured by the Mayer-Salovey-Caruso Emotional Intelligence Test and Spector's Job Satisfaction Survey, New York University (2002)
- MA – Food Studies and Food Management, New York University (1995)
- MSc – Computer Education, Johnson and Wales University (1992)
- BSc – Food Service Education, Johnson and Wales University (1990)
- Associate of Occupational Studies in Culinary Arts, Culinary Institute of America (1974)
Areas of expertise
- Culinary, Foods and Hospitality Management Accreditation
- Emotional Intelligence
- Culinary Gastronomy
- Culinary (Foods) Sustainability
- Culinary Computerization
List of research publications
- Hendee, S. S., & Al-Ubaydli, M. (2007). Handheld computers for chefs. New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons.
Electronic Resources for Travel and Tourism
- Hendee, S. S. (2004). A useful extension of previous research that contextualizes the occupation/profession of chef and chef educator within the wider framework of emotional intelligence (EI) and its spplication/relevance to hospitality services: Department of Recreation, Park and Tourism Sciences Texas A&M University.
- Hendee, S. S. (2002). Professionalization, In Encyclopedia of Food and Culture/; Scribner and Sons.
Professional Trade Journal articles
- Hendee, S. S. (2001). Managing with emotional intelligence. The National Culinary Review.
- Hendee, S. S. (1996). IACP Ethical Guidelines. Consultant International Association of Culinary Professionals.
- Hendee, S. S. (2004). A useful extension of previous research that contextualizes the occupation/profession of chef and chef educator within the wider framework of emotional intelligence (EI) and its spplication/relevance to hospitality services: . Paper presented at the 2004 International Society of Travel and Tourism Educators (ISTTE) Conference, Hong Kong, SAR, China.
- Hendee, S. S. (1996). The impact of Italian cuisine on Long Island. Paper presented at the Italian Americans on Long Island : presence and impact, New York.
- Hendee, S. S. (2002-2005). NYIT Culinary Arts Center. In A. K.-C. V. C. Education Enterprise Zone (Ed.).
- Hendee, S. S. (2002). Diabetisweet.
- Hendee, S. S. (1996). HIP Healthy Favorites Cook Book.
- Hendee, S. S. (1993-1995). International Association of Culinary Professional Ethical Guidelines.
- Hendee, S. S. (2009). Education Lesson Plan(s) SIZZLE: American Culinary Federation Quarterly 6.
- Hendee, S. S. (2009). Garnishes. SIZZLE: American Culinary Federation Quarterly 7.
- Hendee, S. S. (2009). Technology Use and Healthier Preparation SIZZLE: American Culinary Federation Quarterly 5.
- Facilities and Assets Development and Management Face to Face F2F (2015)
- Graduate Research Production and Design F2F and Moodle (2014-2015)
- Operations Management in Hospitality F2F and Moodle (2014)
- Current Issues in Hospitality Management F2F and Online Moodle (2014 and 2012)
- Strategic Planning in the Hospitality Industry- Online Moodle (2013)
- Hospitality Information Technology F2F (2013)
Morgan State University
- Principles and Practices of Food Service Management F2F (2015)
Tai- Sophia Institute now MUIH
- Cooking with Whole Foods Lab VI - final transition to "culinary educator" F2F (2013)
- Human Resources Management (2013) Online – Drexel Learn (Blackboard)
Baltimore International College
- Information Technology for the Hospitality Industry F2F (2008)
- Facilities Asset Development and Management F2F (2007)
- Human Resources Management F2F (2007)
New York Institute of Technology
- Critical Issues in the Food Supply (Nutrition) – Online (Bb) and F2F
- Curriculum Design and Development (Education) F2F
- Dietetic Internship Projects (Nutrition) – Online (Bb)
Morgan State University
- Digital Literacy (Q1 2016)
- Hospitality Marketing (Q1 2016)
- Culinary Cultural Traditions F2F with Moodle (2013 -2015, 2016)
- Introduction to Gastronomy F2F with Moodle (2013 – 2015, 2016)
- Mindful Leadership- co-teach F2F (Q2 2015)
- Culinary Theory and Sanitation F2F with Moodle (2013-2015)
- Computer Office Applications F2F (2013 and 2014)
- Culinary or Hospitality Capstone F2F with Moodle (2013 and 2014)
- Special Topics- Emotional Intelligence and Hospitality F2F with Moodle (2013)
- Hospitality Marketing Online Moodle (2013)
- Food and Beverage Cost Controls Online Moodle (2012)
- Hospitality Supervision Online Moodle (2012)
Arts Institute Washington
- Developed and Taught - Leadership and Organizational Development; Human Resources Management; Quality Service Management and Training; Innovation and Entrepreneurship; and Global Management and Operations in the Hospitality Industry. Taught: Management by Menu, Co -Developed Senior Culinary Practicum – All Face to Face (F2F) (2008 -2010)
- 2009 – Annette George,Doctoral committee member
- 2001 - NYU Doctoral Student Travel Fund ($500)
- 2001 - NYIT CTLT Submission ($2,100)
- 2000 - NYIT AAUP Grant ($1,000)
- 1999 - ISDN Equipment Grant – Tim Ryan ($39,000)
- Certificate of Appreciation Stratford University 2013 and 2014
- Honoree American Academy of Chefs (HAAC) - American Culinary Federation 2010
- Awarded 10 day Culinary Tour Taiwan - Top Woman Culinarian August 2009
- American Culinary Federation Presidential Medallion March 2007
- American Culinary Federation Certificate of Appreciation January 2007
- Certificate Of Recognition Islip Town Board Literacy Suffolk, Inc August 2005
- LI Works Coalition Workforce Builder Nominee 2003
- FENI Educator of the Year Nominee 2003
- NYIT Chef Instructor of the Year 2003
- Nassau Technological BOCES Partnership 2002
- Who's Who Historical Society 2001
- International Who's Who 2000
- Who's Who Among America's Teachers 2000
- Presidential Award – Faculty Service Award NYIT 2000
- PI Lambda Theta High Honors School of Education NYU 2000
- LI Hauppauge Industrial Runner Up Award 1998
- Alpha Beta Kappa, National Honor Society, Johnson and Wales, 1990
- Faculty Award, Highest Cumulative, Teacher Education, Johnson and Wales, 1989
- Certificate of Merit, Chefs de Cuisine of California, American Culinary Federation, 1982
- Food Management Magazine, 3rd Prize Dessert Contest –National Contest, 1977
- Committee Member- American Culinary Federation- Government Relations Committee (2010)
- Editorial Board Member- American Culinary Federation- Sizzle Magazine (2008-2010)
- Editorial Board Member (2003- 2010) – Journal of Culinary Science and Technology – Food Products Press and The Haworth Hospitality Press
- Board Member - Foodservice Educators Network International (FENI) Certification for Culinary Instructors - CCI (2003-2010)
- Member - American Culinary Federation Foundation Accreditation Commission (2002-2008)
- Chair (2005-2007) Vice Chair (2003) -American Culinary Federation Accrediting Commission Post-Secondary and Northeast Regional Representative (2000-2003). Presented at CHEA November 2002
- Chair (January 2004) - American Culinary Federation Secondary Accreditation (Member 2003)
- Advisory Board/Committee Membership, American Culinary Federation Women's Taskforce (2015-2016)
- United States Healthful Food Council (2012-2015)
- SOS Leadership Council (2012-2013)
- SOS Operation Cooking Matters National Board (2009-2012)
- American Culinary Federation Sizzle Editorial Board (2008-2010)
- Governors Workforce Investment Board (Maryland) Education Group (2007-2008)
- Governors Workforce Investment Board (Maryland) Hospitality Group (2006-2008)
- Baltimore Area Convention and Visitor Association (2008)
- Mayor's Office of Employment Development Business Partner (2006-2008)
- MSDE Consumer Services Hospitality and Tourism Cluster (2006-2008)
- Smithtown Central School District Industry Advisory Board (1998-2006)
- Suffolk Community College Restaurant Advisory Board Member (1998-2006)
- Nassau Technological Center Culinary Arts Advisory Board Member (1997-2006)
- Mid- Atlantic Consortium on Educating Food Service Practitioners (1998-2003)