Are you an international or local student? Are you an international or local student?

1 I am a:

2 I want to study in:


Visas to study in Australia

Student Visas are for full-time study in courses that are registered for delivery to international students. These courses must have a CRICOS Code listed with the Course title and all visa documentation will refer to the course title and CRICOS code. Detailed information on applying for a student visa to study in Australia should be obtained directly from the Department of Home Affairs website

Note: William Angliss Institute staff are not permitted by law to advise or provide any assistance to you on any visa matters.


Living and other expenses

The Australian government requires that you are able to demonstrate the ability to afford your study and living expenses in Australia.

You must be able to prove your financial capacity by demonstrating one of the following:

  • Evidence of 12 months' living costs, course fees and travel costs for you and your accompanying family members. You will have to provide schooling costs for any school-aged dependants (please refer to the table on the application form)
  • Evidence that your spouse or parent is willing to support you and has an annual income of at least AUD 62,222 for single students or at least AUD 72,592 for students that are accompanied by family members.

Please visit the Department of Home Affairs website for more information.

Check details of study and life in Melbourne

Check details of study and life in Sydney


Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

You are required by the Australian Government to join an OSHC scheme and to hold health insurance for the duration of your student visa.

You do not need to have OSHC if you are:

  • a Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
  • a Swedish student covered by Kammarkollegiet
  • a Belgian student covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia

For more information visit the Department of Home Affairs website.



The Institute does not have on-campus accommodation, but can assist in locating short-term accommodation placements for new international students. The Institute can also provide referrals to a number of private organisations that specialise in providing longer-term accommodation placement services. They may charge you a fee for this service.

The Institute does not accept any payments for accommodation or associated services, as these payments are made through agreements between you and the accommodation services providers.

Note: The Institute is not responsible or liable for any airport reception or accommodation-related services provided by external organisations.


Work Rights and Tax File Number

All students granted student visas automatically receive permission to work with their student visa. The 'permission to work' granted on your visa is effective from the first date that your classes commence. Under this work permit, you may work for a maximum of 40 hours over a two week period during a semester, and without restriction during mandated school holidays.

You must obtain a Tax File Number if you intend to work. Please refer to the following websites for more information:

Australian Taxation Office

You may be eligible to claim for funds paid by your employer into a retirement fund (Superannuation) on departing Australia.

Superannuation Payment

You are protected by law whilst working in Australia and your work rights may be checked:

Fair Work Ombudsman