Academic Profile - Paul Kloppenborg
MANAGER, LEARNING AND INFORMATION SERVICES
QUALIFICATION CURRENTLY STUDYING
Doctor of Philosophy, Charles Sturt University
BRIEF SUMMARY OF THESIS TOPIC
At the core of the study is the move by Technical and Further Education (TAFE) institutions into Higher Education (HE), and the role of TAFE libraries in supporting that move. TAFE is the publicly supported sector of Vocational Education and Training (VET) and have traditionally delivered VET qualifications that have focused on prescribed programs, compliance and competencies standards. Within HE, the emphasis is on academic discipline development through course content, curriculum design, graded assessment and pedagogy.
Scholarly information behaviour considers a person's role, function and attitude to locating, accessing, browsing, seeking and using information in a scholarly context. There is a little research on how libraries in a non-university sector support the scholarly information behaviour of HE lecturers, nor how these lecturers find and access information for their scholarship and research.
The research will:
- Investigate how HE lecturers in TAFE find and access information to inform their scholarship
- Determine how the Institute library as an information resource and service provider supports HE lecturer's scholarly information needs
- Develop a constructivist grounded theory that explains the scholarly information behaviour of HE lecturers in TAFE
A qualitative research approach that focuses on participant views was adopted. The methodology took a constructivist grounded theory approach.
- Master of Education, Charles Sturt University
- Master of Applied Science, Charles Sturt University
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons), Monash University
- Graduate Diploma of Librarianship, University of Melbourne
- Diploma of Management, William Angliss Institute
- Certificate IV in Training and assessment, RMIT University
T: +61 3 9606 2235
List of research publications
- Kloppenborg , P. and Ruddy, C. (2014). Same truth, different reality: Information literacy practices in vocational and vocational/higher education TAFE libraries. Paper presented at the ALIA Biennial Conference 2014. Retrieved from http://nationalconference2014.alia.org.au/sites/default/files/images/same_truth_different_reality.pdf
- Ruddy, C. & Kloppenborg, P. (2013). Same, same but different: Higher education, TAFE libraries and student information literacy training. Paper presented at the TAFE Australasian Library Conference. Retrieved from http://www.talc.org.au/PDFs/KloppenborgRuddy_TALC2013.pdf
- Lagos, E., Kloppenborg, P. & Alebaki, M. (2013). Tweet me a drink: The use of social media in Victoria's (Australia) wine tourism industry. Journal of Marketing Vistas, 3(2), 11-24.
- Kloppenborg, P. (2012). Building research capability through special collections in university and polytechnic libraries. In National Heritage: Preservation and Dissemination, Proceedings of the 15th CONSAL Meeting and General Conference, Bali, Indonesia.
- Harris, A. & Kloppenborg, P. (2012). Developing research capacity in a shifting landscape - the case of Australian tourism and hospitality education. Asia-Pacific Journal of Innovation in Hospitality and Tourism, 1(2), 125-143.
- Kloppenborg, P. (2012). Fear, threat, crisis: Victorian TAFE library funding. Incite, 33, 1-2.
- Kloppenborg, P. (2011). Are we there yet: The higher education TAFE library and the dual sector model. In Bundy, A. (Ed.), Connection and convergence: Second International conference on joint use libraries. Adelaide, South Australia, 3-4 November 2011. Adelaide, Auslib Press.
- Lagos, E. & Kloppenborg, P. (2011). Tweet me a drink: Social media and the Victorian Winery Industry. Proceedings of the International Tourism and Media Conference, Melbourne, Australia.
- Kloppenborg, P & Lodge, D. (2010). Forgotten anything: Library staff competencies for the learning commons. Library Management, 31(3), 169-185.
- Kloppenborg, P. (2010). Higher education in TAFE: A new mixed sector library paradigm. Australian Academic & Research Library Journal, 41(3), 192-206.
- Kloppenborg, P. (2009). Victorian Regional TAFE library support. Incite, 30(12), 9.
- Kloppenborg, P. (2009). That's special: An investigation of Australian TAFE libraries rare and special collections. Paper presented at the ALIA Biannual Conference 2009. Retrieved from http://conferences.alia.org.au/libtec2009/Documents%20for%20Links/Kloppenborg-ALIA09.pdf